Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Change of scenery

Hilton Head Island
There is something peaceful about looking out at a marina.  The boats all seems so hopeful, shinny white and bobbing at their moorings.  It almost makes me want a boat -- but no, the thought passes quickly.  I want a friend with a boat, I don't even want to be the navigator, I just want to be the guest.  I will help out and make lunch, bring drinks, cut up cheese and crackers - but I don't want to clean it, scrub the decks, polish the brass, oil the teak, well you get the picture. 

This was planned as a ''vacation" with a little work.  We are travelling with friends and the guys have booked a different golf course every day with the tournament winner buying dinner on Friday night.  Two days in and they are pretty even.  My little work grew exponentially over the past several days.  I thought I could load some data into this new software and zippity do dah I would be done.  Not so much. The reason it is 'reasonably priced' software is because it is fairly dumb and as the account rep told me when I called and asked if they had a library of data, he said without even so much as a pause, "we think our clients like to customize this application with their own data so we don't put in more than the demo data - and oh Jinni when you are done you keep the data and the next job will be oh so much faster." 

Luckily I have been down this path before with a slightly more robust application and I am the queen of googling (verb), so last night after hours of crossing my eyes and gritting my teeth I have a reasonably professional first draft to send up to the client for today. 

Today Betty and I walked the boardwalk around the marina to ogle the boats and check out the restaurants and nifty gifty stores.  The day is sunny, light breeze and just perfect in the sun.  Tonight we are dining at a Chef's restaurant - Eat so I am saving my calories for a yummy dinner.  Tomorrow threatens rain, but I have started spa hunting and am working on a plan that involves a lazy massage, a light lunch and a nap. 

No comments:

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...