Monday, August 14, 2017

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomfortable sometimes I would muster through knowing that the day I put them away in favor of more comfortable footwear I was on the downward slope to old age.

Gotcha 1. What appeared to be a minor injury to my ankle from a work accident turned into a year long recovery process and a long term swelling of one ankle. Another year was spent with a vein guy inching my way to a possible improvement. My ankles are no longer almost black with veins but now I have a good leg and a bad leg. There are no cures for the swelling in one leg and ankle. I can wear compression hose and it is more comfortable but not a cure. If I vainly want to go out at night in a dress and heels I can wear compression hose all day and whip them off before going out and it works for about 4 hours before the swelling starts and the cankles return.

Vanity 2. Year and thousands of dollars spent keeping my hair blonde and a good cut. Dreading the day I cut it short and gave up on big hair and became old.

Karma 2. It is either stress or fate but my hair is falling out and thinning at an alarming rate. The stylist says stress, it will grow back. Give it a rest, less heat of blow drying, fewer chemicals to keep it styled and it will heal. Great - I still have to show up in the office 5 days a week as the oldest person in the building, older than 90% of the mothers of my co-workers. Natural, unblown or curled or sprayed or moussed will not do! Interim solution a wig. My best and most honest opinion giver shopped with me to find a solution. The ultimate irony! The first week I work it to work people who never spoke to me stopped me and said how great I looked. Is the inverse how bad I looked before?

Next post Vanity 3 Hearing.

No comments:

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...