Saturday, September 29, 2012

Every day reality

Vacations are wonderful. Especially a BIG holiday that was in the works for months.  Everyone who knows my hubby knows that he takes vacations seriously and becomes quite morose if there is nothing on the drawing boards.  I never knew him when he was in high career mode, we didn't get married until both of us had reached the decision that we were now just working.  He had taken a package from AT&T and I had reached the point in my career where I wanted more than just the rewards from work.  We both still work,we both still have projects where we fall in love with clients or a challenge and work way to many hours and crazy schedules, but because we are consultants or hired hands, projects end and we go on to new ones.  Now instead of being consumed with work ideas, Mr Vacation amuses himself during long boring conference calls surfing the web for perfect vacation spots, or plotting how to persuade me that three days in Florida is worth the 16 hour round trip drive.

Over the past several years my priorities changed.  Maybe to fit my energy level, I no longer think painting the kitchen is a weekend task!  But I miss my kids and the gran's,  I like spending time with friends.  I have renewed my friendship with my sister and discovered it is true that there is no one else in the world you can laugh at yourself with more than your sister.  And it very helpful that she also can speak in multiple half sentences - it makes explaining something so much easier.  

My daughters and sons and their significant others are all interesting and wonderful people.  I wish I could flit in and out of their lives without it being a "visit". If I won the lottery I would buy a place near enough that they could come by easily, with a theater to lure my little gamers, bedrooms with toys and snugly beds for parents and mostly a big deck or porch looking out on the water.  Guess I should have bought some of those tickets when I was in Ireland, or else stop reading these dumb Low Country Islander books.

The reality of every day is pretty good. I have mostly interesting and agreeable clients, very few stick around too long since I come in at the tail end of most projects.  My biggest tasks are laundry and foraging for provisions and occasionally planning a dinner party to share a recipe or milestone with friends.  My closest friends are very tolerant of my "new recipe" tests, because come on have you ever seen a recipe for two in Southern Living or Williams Sonoma?  

Next week I get to wrap a few family days around a client work session in DC while Bruce is in Nashville at a conference.  Not too bad a life for a sleepy head who starts most work mornings in pj's and tries very hard to explain to clients that. 10am call is much better since it lets them clear up any early morning issues before working with me. (Aren't I thoughtful).

No comments:

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...