Saturday, September 29, 2012

Dublin at its finest

 

As part of our two week journey to London, we added mid-week jaunts away.  First week we went to Paris and the second week we went to Dublin.  While Paris is beautiful and historic and -- well I have already talked about Paris.  Dublin is fun.  We had a fabulous hotel about 1/2 mile from Trinity College on the south side of the river.  In keeping with our challenge to only use public transportation or walk we started with a City tour so we could create a list of what we really wanted to see and as good planners that we are - develop a priority list and schedule.  The truth is we are both good planners but I am not the best implementer.  The first morning the lovely soft snuggly bed kept me trapped under the duvet a little later than planned, but the extra sleep added new energy to my increasingly tired body. 

We had a few historic sites we wanted to see and we wanted to resist restaurants and eat in local pubs for the few days were were in Dublin.  Dublin never let us down.  There is a pub on every corner and frequently mid-block, so the tougher decision was which ones - after all there are only some many meals/beers that can be consumed in three days.  Local beer is really very good.  I am not a beer drinker but there was a local brew that was smooth and light.  I think it is the lack of carbonization that makes the beer much nicer to drink.  I eschewed strange foods - black pudding and questionable sausages and stuck to the safer foods on the menu.  I know, I know -- what a whimp but I decided I would rather have three wonderful full days than a tummy ache. 

Just in case anyone is every wondering - every pub in England, Dublin and the cafe's in Paris have a Coq Monsieur (or some variation) so I am not the only food weenie in the world.  Though I do wish they would server them with applesauce and not fries. 

Back to Dublin.  Our first night was pretty darn chilly and windy so our path from the bus stop was fairly direct to the hotel -but what did we pass, with a warm cheery light in the window beckoning us to stop in for a pint - but the Reilly Pub.  Why is this important you ask?  Because my mom was a Reilly and from a county not too far from Dublin.  Now what could I do - I would have to stop in, it would be wrong to pass it by wouldn't it? 

On the second night at a little wine and cheese gathering at the hotel we met the hotel manager who was also from County Meath - but I unfortunately did not know the town.  It is sort of like saying your family is from Baltimore County but you have no idea where in Baltimore County.  Guess is it a little better than just saying our family was from Ireland! Ireland has a Homecoming 2013 effort going on right now that let's you register as a Daughter or Son of Ireland if you can trace your roots back to a Clan/Family.  Sounds like a good idea to me! 



No comments:

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...