Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions

Every year I have a list of 'good for you' resolutions. Some of them last until January 15 some longer. This year I used my new start in January as an excuse for one more cookie, one more piece of pie, one more - well you get the idea. Today getting into my North Carolina slacks to go home I took stock of the price I paid for two weeks of my "We'll think of that tomorrow" attitude. So I am taking a big chance and saying my resolutions out loud, putting them in writing so all can check up on me as the weeks go by.
  1. I am taking the no take away food for one month challenge. I can still go out to a restaurant but not more than once a week. Cook at home or eat cereal - but put away those yummy, easy take away menus until February 1.
  2. Of course the gym -- but I will start out small. January - minimum of 4 times a week for 45 minutes at the gym. I am paying the price for abandoning my routine at Thanksgiving. My knees ache, I get out of breath going up hill. And the biggie - I am not, not, not buying clothes in a bigger size.
  3. Now on to the slightly stranger but real resolutions. I will write a resume, post it on line and look for a day job. After 25+years of consulting no one ever asked for a resume, getting a contract was based on previous projects. Now I need a day job and that requires a personal resume. Anyone out there who has a clue as to how to translate 25 years of herding cats (committee members) and relyiing on success by the will of a group I have no control over -- send it along. As my Dad told me once about my chosen career - I really didn't do anything, I just talked.
  4. I will work harder at being a good Nana. I am not sure what that means or how to start, but this year Ashby has truly wormed his way into my hard little heart, and Jon and Jason just cracked it a little further. I want to be connected to these guys and to Madi when she arrives. I want to know what is going on in their lives regularly. Maybe I need to follow an Italian Nana around since the ones I observe seem to balance a little nagging interference with lots of love. My 'never interfere and wait to be invited' policy isn't working.
  5. And finally - since the list seems pretty daunting to me - I resolve to have fun. At least once a week - do something that isn't on the to-do list or has a higher purpose. Once a month Bunco knocks out one week a month, leaving me three other weeks to learn to do something that is just for fun. Maybe I should either learn to play golf or sell my clubs this year!

So feel free to check up on me, or remind me when I wander away from my resolutions. I would really like to look back in April and say that I am still making progress.

No comments:

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...