Thursday, February 4, 2010

Rabbit holes

Last weekend I tackled restoring our home network. It seemed a simple task. The last time our network went down, I had written down the settings for the router and assigned static IP addresses to the print servers. So I rebooted everything and started through the process to getting the router back on the network. Six hours later I had rebotted the router, the modem, turned off all of the computers and printers and still could not get back out onto the internet. I was still in my pjs, no shower and getting more and more frustrated. At one point my spouse, using his own internet connection, printed off directions to set up a router. It took all of my waning will not to kill him. Finally after hours of frustration I threw in the towel and declared the router dead. The happy ending is everything is back up and working using the modem. Hubby's connection is very slow -- which is why we had the router in the first place to give his office a better line of sight -- but my office works great.

This weekend I am going to tackle adding a new router to the system and starting over getting everything back on the network. Current plan is to have a shower, coffee and breakfast first.

No comments:

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...