Monday, April 6, 2015

The Sunday dinner table and other myths

I grew up in the era of Ozzie and Harriet. It was one of the TV shows that we watched, and of course I fell in love with David and the Ricky. But it always seemed like TV not real. It wasn't my family reality. So the question is have I continually battled with trying to achieve that TV wonderfulness and sadness with missing the mark. Do I want to have Sunday dinner with the Commissioner? I do notice that the men at the end of the table are always right and there no women who are their peers. My family reality is we have a great blended family with seven children in 6 cities spread from California to England. They all have families, with children and jobs. Seven children each with ties to ex's and in-laws, sports schedules, school schedules and lives of their own. I have been very proud of my children's ability to "grow where they are planted". They have active lives with friends and commitments. And I have done the same.

We talk, occasionally face time or Skype (I have to get better at that) and try to get one group or the other together for a holiday and occasional vacation. So why when I had a wonderful Easter dinner with friends and a borrowed Mother for kibitzing did I feel like it was missing something? Why do I keep feeling that a holiday dinner should be shared with children and grandchildren? I need an attitude adjustment.

1 comment:

Meagan said...

It must be genetic because every holiday I just want to jump on an airplane and come home. I know everyone says that when you get married and have kids you need to start your own family traditions...but I am not sure they are telling the truth.

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...