Saturday, March 22, 2014

Domesticity is highly overrated.

I have been home without any "work" since Thanksgiving.  There was a small project that took a few days in February but other than that I have been searching for meaning in cleaning out closets, shredding old files, scanning in pictures from the many boxes, scouring magazines for interesting menus to try.  I am planning healthy menus using an excel sheet so,I don't end up with 6 cans of basil/garlic chopped tomatoes on sale for the unbelievable price of 6 for $3.  I have purged my cupboards of questionable plastic containers, out of date ingredients and spices I brought from Canada (just kidding).  

A trip to The Container Store yielded shelf liners for my wire pantry shelves, an ever so clever divider that let's me stack my sauté pans, another to let me store the many cutting boards, pizza stone and cookie sheet rack.  Now they stand neatly on end waiting to be plucked for use.  And not to be ignored another divider that let's me store the casserole pans, and deep dish pie pan without stacking, and a cute extra shelf to separate my Polish Pottery casseroles.  All of this has led me to believe I am addicted to cooking containers.  This resulted in the mental challenge of incorporating these wonderful, unique containers in MEALS.   

I am starting with the ones that are more suitable for a family of two.   A La individual chicken pot pies in the au gratin dishes, broiled scallops and shrimp in the shallow ceramic baking dish, 2 person meatloafs in the small loaf pans lurking in the cupboard over the stove.  I am exhausted. I want to order pizza.  Planning menus that will use all of the fresh ingredients and leave no leftovers is exhausting.  My sweetie hubby is a willing test subject.  So far the majority of the meals have been winners, only one was horrid - way too much ginger.  I NEED A JOB!   


No comments:

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...