Friday, March 18, 2011

Romper Room and Meeting Place

This will only appeal to those of us who watched morning television in the 1950's and maybe the 60's. There was a show (originating from Baltimore - small cheer) where every day Miss Nancy started by getting everyone to sit down in front of their televisions while she got out her magic looking glass and said hello to us. She would call out our names as she looked through her magic glass. Then we would say the pledge of allegiance and sing songs. Sometimes Mr. Do Bee would come to teach us how to be polite. "Do be a Do Bee". I always wished she would call my name but alas Jinni was not a popular name at the time.

Every time a meeting place conference call starts I remember Miss Nancy and wish sometimes Mr. Do Bee would show up and remind us about being on time and muting our phones when we are in a bar. We all log in and our names pop up on the screen, our leader calls out our names - I see Brad, is Tom on yet? And then we go through our agenda and make our reports and say goodbye. It is a lot like Romper Room.

Thank you Miss Nancy and Mr. Do Bee - I have remembered your lessons and it makes some of these calls a little more fun!

1 comment:

rwbenson said...

Greg Hunter once revealed to me that after hearing Miss Nancy's claim that she saw 'Gregory' through her magic glass never felt comfortable getting dressed in front of the TV again. I've also wondered how she kept the obvious ruse of the magic mirror going in front of her child guests on the what was obviously Live Television. Did she sneek into a hidden corner of the studio? Even as a child I had my doubts about the mirror or the efficacy of chanting 'romper, stomper, bomper-boo'. Still it was pretty captivating when you were five.

Vanity the ultimate gotcha.

Vanity 1. Heels, shoes. They were my addiction. I loved being able to wear heels, sandals, cute shoes. Even if they were slightly uncomf...